Friday, November 11, 2011

To count CARBS or CALORIES? THAT is the question...

During these past three years I must have read an encyclopedia's worth of information about carb counting. I know it like the back of my hand. When I first began to watch my carb intake, the information I had come across enabled me to believe that counting calories wasn't necessary. That information was VERY wrong. As I got closer to my goal, I began to discover that what I had done to lose the 1st 90lbs would NOT work on getting off the next 40. So I had to re-group and find another plan of attack. I knew I had to work harder AND smarter if I had any hopes of reaching my goals. I googled (I'm a google junkie) the question "Do I still need to count calories if I count carbs?" and I came across this:

Q: I've always had problems with my weight and have tried many diets. I'd like to know whether counting calories or carbs is better as far as losing weight and keeping it off.
— Trisha, Mississippi
Dr. Caroline Apovian A:  Well, the answer is that counting both is important — but counting calories is more important! (learned this the hard way) To lose weight, you must eat fewer calories than you expend in any given day. You can actually reduce the amount of carbs you eat, but if you're still taking in more calories than you're expending, you'll gain weight. (or maintain as I have done SO many times in the past)
Usually, women on a diet should eat about 1,200 to 1,500 calories per day; men, approximately 1,500 to 1,800 calories per day. This will allow for a weight loss of one to two pounds per week, which is considered a safe rate of loss. Staying within that calorie range, you might be able to decrease hunger pangs to by reducing carbs and eating more protein, which can help you feel fuller longer as well as reduce cravings. 

The above underlined let me know that what I have been doing the last 3 days is a GREAT plan and I may actually stick to it permanently (until I hit a plateau, then I'll began carb cycling). I've been keeping my carbs under 100 grams per day and I was staying between 1200-1250 calories a day. Unfortunately I was still hungry and I was reminded of WHY exactly I stayed away from calorie counting. I will increase that number to 1300-1350 as the above states I can eat up to 1500 and still lose weight. Should I still experience issues with hunger and feel like I can't stick to it I will resort back to solely counting carbs and consume less than 100 grams to balance things out.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good balance you should do it :)

    www.TinaDivaTV.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete