Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My low carb grocery staples...

For those of you that don't know, a "Staple" is your go to item...something you can't be without. Changing my eating habits prevented me from eating MOST of my previous staple foods such as bread, pasta, sweets and processed foods and those things had to be replaced. It took A LOT of trial & error but for the most part, I enjoy eating these things just as much (sometimes lol) and I ALWAYS feel better about eating them as opposed to feeling bloated, depressed and hopeless. 

 Eggs are BY FAR at the top of the list. I eat them for breakfast: Fried, scrambled, in an omelet or a breakfast quiche (I will post the recipe one day).

I snack on hard boiled or deviled eggs.

I eat egg salad for lunch.
I used sliced boiled eggs on top of my salad for dinner or a scrambled egg to enable breading (pork rinds and or Parmesan cheese) to stick meats I'd fry in coconut oil.




I don't recall my mother EVER making salmon unless it came out of a can. Even then it had onions, flour and an egg added to it and it was then FRIED. I don't really remember WHY I decided to try salmon in the 1st place but I am glad I did! All I do is slice it into decent sized portions, squeeze some lemon juice on it and season it with either Old Bay lemon pepper seasoning or Mrs Dash lemon and herb seasoning and BAKE; Dee-Lish! Salmon, along with 80% lean ground beef, ground turkey, boneless skinless chicken breast, chicken wings (every once in a while legs and thighs) and steak are my favorite cuts of meat.


I only allow myself to have this during my carb up days but at just about 33 grams of net carbs per CUP it is still a good deal.













Having eggs for breakfast everyday gets old FAST! especially when you are eating them for lunch and as a snack too! That's why I am glad I discovered almond milk, it allows me to have cereal when I just can't fork down any more eggs! I usually buy unsweetened which is 1 gram net carb per cup (if I remember correctly). The original is just 7 grams net carbs which isn't too bad either :)




Because I am counting NET carbs as opposed to regular carbs, I benefit tremendously from foods high in fiber. For those of you who don't know, Net Carbs = Total Carbs-Fiber. With this cereal having 9 grams of carbs, I don't use half my days worth of carbs on one serving as that brings the net down to 32. Other cereals I may have Is special K protein plus which is only 9 grams net carbs per 3/4 cup or Honey Nut Cheerios (I 4get the count for those, around 20-22)




I like to use the splenda that has added fiber for two reasons: 

1. Anyone doing low carb KNOWS we need all the fiber we can get!

2. The 1 gram of fiber cancels out the the 1 gram of carb per packet so instead of using 5 of my precious carbs in my breakfast coffee, I use NONE :)


Will be back with food pics of some of my meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment